The Watt Car and Wheel Company was
founded in 1862 as the Joseph Watt and Son foundry. The business
progressed from the molding of small cast irons and heat stoves to
inventing the self-oiling coal car wheel. The company grew from a
staff of the four Watt brothers to more than 135 employees by 1901.
In addition to adding employees, new foundries and office buildings
were erected to fit the needs of increasing trade demands.
In February 1966, the company was sold to Alfred and Arno Pass of
Westphalia, Germany. The company began fabricating equipment used in
the longwall mining process. In 1996, the company moved to
Washington, Pa., and closed its doors in Barnesville. The village of
Barnesville later bought the buildings and acres of land for one
The Watt Car and Wheel Company is one of many sites around the state
receiving Historical Markers from the Ohio Bicentennial Commission’s
Longaberger Legacy Initiative and the Ohio Historical Society. The
Ohio Historical Marker program began in 1953 for the state’s
are arranged by appointment.
Call Jean Davies: 425-1497 or Mary Sidwell: 425-2655 ext. 204.